Hi, I’m K – Thanks for visiting my TVB blog [K for TVB]! 🙂 It contains an archive of my thoughts on various TVB dramas from 2006- 2014, including TVB synopsis, screen captures, themesong lyric translations & downloads. We were previously known as K-TVB.net, but since February 2021 we have migrated across to http://tvb.dearchibi.com . While I am no longer updating this blog as such, I hope it remains on the web to commemorate the good old TVB days [ and me personally on the time and dedication I spent on this blog in my younger years 😉 ] Enjoy!
Hello everyone! 🙂 It’s K here! Long time no write, hope everyone has been well!
I mentioned in my previous message back in September 2015 that I’ve been watching less and less TVB these days and less of my thoughts have been coming into this blog, largely due to focusing my time in my offline world. Although it will probably continue this way, I just wanted to let you know I will be sharing my TVB thoughts on twitter! If you use twitter, feel free to follow me!! https://twitter.com/k4tvb (on the right hand side of this page). My twitter account has been around since December 2008 but most of my TVB thoughts have been on the blog rather than on twitter. It will now be kinda on the reverse as twitter allows me to quickly share some thoughts as I watch along TVB drama without needing to devote a lot of time to craft a nice blog entry.
This year I’ve only watched a select handful, including Infernal Affairs ç„¡é–“é“ , Flying Tigersé£žè™Žä¹‹æ½œè¡Œæžæˆ˜, Another Era å†å‰µä¸–ç´€ and currently watching Succession War å¤©å‘½ (which I really enjoy! The others were a bit of a let down unfortunately!)
I watched two episodes of Life on the line è·³èºç”Ÿå‘½ç·š, which I may go back to if ratings are good after I finish Succession War- let me know if you recommend!
That’s it from me for now =)
Hi everyone, Chibi here 🙂 It’s been a couple of months since I’ve watched Line Walker 2 – The Prelude but I found myself constantly listening to its sub theme songs. Forgot Myself å¿˜è¨˜æˆ‘è‡ªå·± by Hana Kuk and Know Oneâ€™s Place å®‰å®ˆæœ¬ä»½ by Vivian Koo are both played throughout the series quite a lot, so I decided to have a crack at translating it into English for you. Below you’ll find the Lyrics in Chinese, Pinyin (for those who want to sing it!) and of course my English translation. Enjoy!
Line Walker 2 – The Prelude Ending themesong ‘Forgot Myself’ å¿˜è¨˜æˆ‘è‡ªå·± by Hana Kuk èŠæ¢“å–¬
Please credit tvb.dearchibi.com if reposted.
The role you play, will meet you at any time
Required to be in danger, with no escape
The book of life has secretly been written
I’m fated to be with you through place and date
*Who used to say they longed for dullness
Obviously I want to be happy, and live simply
While your morals are like quicksand, scattered everywhere
Struggling to face disaster
**So I remember you then forgot myself
Snow storms along the way, I won’t be afraid of death
I can afford to make mistakes, ignoring all the gossip
In my lifetime, I will fly with you
***Since I discovered the more mysterious you are, the more self deception
I’m sinking happily, please don’t reach out to save me
Hurt from burning myself, losing my luck
No regrets exhausting my reserve, willing to be fatigued
Read the rest of this entry »
English Title: Line Walker 2 – The Prelude (Prequel to 2014’s Line Walker)
Cantonese Title: ä½¿å¾’è¡Œè€…2 (si to haang je)
Cast: Michael Miuï¼ŒMoses Chan, Jessica Hsuan, Benz Hui, Pakho Chau, Priscilla Wong, Benjamin Yuen
Airing date: 18 September 2017
Themesong: Sky Net (å¤©ç¶²)-Pakho Chau | Sub 1: Forget Myself (å¿˜è¨˜æˆ‘è‡ªå·±) – Hana Kuk | Sub 2: Know One’s Place (å®‰å®ˆæœ¬ä»½)-Vivian Koo
Comments: I’m so excited that this series came out!! :DD I’ve been so out of TVB these days I hadn’t even realised they were filming this ^^; and only recently came across it so I’m still playing catchup!! The last Line Walker related thing I’ve seen was the movie released awhile back which I surprisingly enjoyed as well. It was a decent movie! Anyways, back to Line Walker 2, this series is a prequel to the first Line Walker series. Michael Miu & Benz Hui will be in it which is great because they’re both characters I liked and excited to see how they will add more to Benz’ back story (how he became what he’ll become, maybe more on his undercover days?). Adding to that, while I will miss Charmaine & Raymond on-screen, I am really excited by the strong casting- Jessica & Moses and the refreshing cast (Priscilla, Benjamin & Pakho). Fingers crossed this series will be a good one that will get my attention and have me hooked to my seat!
English Title: Burning Hands
Cantonese Title: ä¹˜å‹ç‹™æ“Š
Cast: Ruco Chan é™³å±•éµ¬ï¼ŒLin Xia Weiæž—å¤è–‡ï¼ŒJoel Chan é™³å±±è°ï¼ŒKelly Fu å‚…å˜‰èŽ‰ï¼Œå–®ç«‹æ–‡ï¼Œå³å²±èžï¼ŒRebecca Chan é™³ç§€ç ï¼Œå‘‚çŠ
Released: 16 January 2017 â€“ 12 February 2017
CHAK KOON-YAT (Ruco Chan), HO CHING-FA (Lin Xia Wei) and NG PAK-YEE (Joel Chan) have followed their master SZETO SING (Pat Poon) to learn con tricks and illusions since childhood. KOON-YAT and CHING-FA grow fond of each other and are about to get married. However, a competition estranges them and they have never contacted each other ever since. Later on, in order to flush out the mole, a casino tycoon named FOK CHUN-SING (Pal Sinn) colludes with SING to induce KOON-YAT and PAK-YEE into taking up a secret mission, resulting in their reunion with CHING-FA. On top of that, they are even inextricably bound up with CHUN-SING’s daughter FOK HEI-YAN (Kelly Fu). With each of them possessing a unique talent, they gradually uncover that the mole might be CHUN-SING’s right-hand man LAM LUI (Geoffrey Wong), confidant YAU YUET-WAH (Rebecca Chan) or one of their rivals. But nothing is as it seems. To find out why CHUN-SING killed his father CHIANG TIN-LUNG (Hugo Ng) twenty years ago, KOON-YAT infiltrates the Chun Sing Group, dealing a crushing blow to the crisis-ridden casino. That leads to an enmity between siblings, total severance of the master-disciple relationship, and irreconcilable differences between father and son……
Read the rest of this entry »
Note from KTVB 27/1/17: Another blog post I dug up from 2013- finally posting this to share with everyone- enjoy!
See Synopsis: Here | Purchase DVD @ YesAsia.com (English Subtitles)
I thought Sniper Standoff was a pretty decent TVB series for 2013. It had a good storyline (relatively fast-paced), and kept me watching and wanting to find out more. The most interesting characters (and personal favourites) are Michael and Kathy’s characters. They have the most interesting back stories and character development. I felt sorry for their characters and have always hoped they would get a good ending.
Like Tiger Cubs, Sniper Standoff is based around SDU (Special Duties Unit) , however as the title suggests, focuses on the Snipers (namely Eddie Cheung, ex-SDU Sniper Michael Tse, and newbie female SDU member Eliza Sam). The two â€œbrothersâ€ Eddie and Michael were the top Snipers in SDU, trained together under the same master (Kate Tsuiâ€™s father); whom worked extremely well as a team. Unfortunately, due to Michael disobeying orders by exercising his own judgement during an operation (and Eddie pointing this out), Michael ends up being kicked out of the SDU leaving him with nothing. His dreams of being able to bring justice to the world and to protect the weak/innocent has been robbed from him and he can no longer be in the police force. As a result, Michael ends up secretly working for â€˜Kei Dimâ€™ Corporations as their assassin, run by Alice Chanâ€™s father. The large corporation is involved with many illegal dealings and activity, which the cops (Kateâ€™s Team) are constantly on the tail of.
Read the rest of this entry »
Note from KTVB 18/1/17: I found this entry I started in March 2015 but never finished or published. So here I am giving it a chance to surface on my blog, hope you enjoy!
It has been a while since I’ve watched a TVB series- the last one I watched from beginning to end was â€˜Line Walkerâ€™. Nothing else really appealed to me but when I saw Kevin Cheng and Ruco Chan in a series together I thought it could be refreshing one and decided to give it a go. The synopsis does not really describe the series accurately, but I guess it’s TVB’s attempt not to give away too much of the story line (which made the synopsis sound kind of confusing). I found the series enjoyable overall, but not without its frustrations and eye-rolling movements. Below are some of my thoughts…
*Warning: Contains spoilers*
- The story is about Kevin Cheng’s character (å¸å¾’èˆœ) who is an intelligent CID inspector, mostly quiet and reserved: the cool type who is often found thinking and analyzing situations. His thought process is reliant on his attention to detail and what is captured in security cameras. Unfortunately this backfires on him when he is seen lighting an apartment on fire on camera. Although Kevin is eventually let off for having other evidence proving he was elsewhere during the time of the incident, many of his colleagues didn’t trust him, including his boss played by Becky Lee. As a result, despite his passion for solving cases, Kevin decides to resign until he can find evidence to prove himself innocent.
- Tavia (Jan) is a private investigator whose talents seem to be held back by working for her old fashioned- father who doesn’t keep up with technology. Tavia has the special ability where her eyes are like a video recorder and she can “rewind, play-back” and “zoom-in” to everything she catches a glance on (haha..yea..sure). She gets saved by Kevin and develops a massive crush on him. She later meets Kevin again but his personality is quite different from the ‘cool’ inspector. This Kevin calls himself “Johnny” asking her to help him locate a drug dealer. He is more talkative and spontaneous. The two end up in some dangerous situation and he gets injured in attempt to save her. The attraction grew and the two end up having sex that night. However, the next day, she learns that he had lit an apartment on fire, bringing her into total shock, confusion and denial on what kind of guy he is. What’s worse is when she confronts Kevin (the inspector), and he claims he has no recollection of her.
- 1.5 years later, Kevin is working as head of security in a high-end Hotel operation. The remainder of the series revolves around the hotel. He ends up recruiting Ruco Chan in his security team and the two become good friends with many things in common.
- After realising that Kevin and “Johnny” were not the same person, the three of them (Tavia, Kevin and Ruco) go and investigate to find out that Kevin actually has a younger twin brother who was separated at birth; and their parents were led to believe he was dead.
- It turns out that Ruco was actually Kevin’s twin brother who lived a really hard life with his best friend and they grew up being thieves.. During an operation where they were stealing some famous jewelry, an accident occurred and Ruco’s face gets burnt and after countless number of stitches and surgeries, Ruco’s face completely changed (from ‘Kevin’ to ‘Ruco’). Ruco is now out to seek revenge on the other thieves who has taken the jewelry off him and caused his face change. Ruco and his friend took up new different identities and went into the Hotel operations in order to hunt them down to seek revenge.
- Later, Ruco eventually reunites with his Kevin and his family, but things start to turn ugly when he finds out that Tavia did not love him, and that she had fallen for his brother Kevin. He was only used as a rebound… Other misunderstandings occur making Ruco think his family doesn’t truly accept him and that he’s still an outsider. At the end, Ruco turns so evil to the point of no return…
- Overall, not one of the best TVB has produced but had some entertainment value. The theme song was quite catchy, I loved the tune!
- This series is quite light-hearted with some comical characters.
- I really like Ruco and Kevin’s characters and I feel really sorry for Ruco. It started to get interesting from around episode 5 onward where they reveal to us that Ruco is actually Kevin’s younger twin brother. The birthday scene was so sad where Ruco thought for once he could celebrate his birthday with his family, but then realise they excluded him. Turns out they knew Ruco and Kevin had the same birthday so the four of them celebrated together even though didn’t know Ruco was really Kevin’s twin brother. Kevin’s mum also acknowledged him as their god son. I was so happy and touched for Ruco and I enjoyed watching his interactions with his family. It was heart wrenching how they didn’t know the truth, and I was waiting for the moment for them to reunite. He seemed so happy just being with his family members.
- I like Ruco’s sidekick (played by Tong Hung), especially later in the series when he turns good. I guess he was never really that bad to begin with. He values his friendship, he knows what’s good and what isn’t. He had a conscience and he felt so bad after he helped Ruco take revenge on the old lady who sold him to another family for money. He looks after his grandma well, and it was cute later on. I really didn’t like his character at the start when he was playing that photographer loafing around the hotel, chasing every girl he saw, but when I found out later he was only pretending, and allied with Ruco in attempts to find the missing jewelry, I found him a lot more bearable and funny.
- I also enjoyed the mysteries behind the characters in the hotel. It was kinda fun and interesting and weird (although disjointed with random Susan Tse in there)
- I really disliked the scenes with Tavia’s dad and her other work colleague.
- Despite Tavia winning Favourite TVB Female Character (Starhub TVB Awards 2015) for her character as Jan, she didn’t win me over. She tried too hard to come off as a ‘cute’ and ‘clumsy’ with her constant hiccups. Sometimes I can’t even understand why the guys would fall for her lol
- Samantha Ko’s character comes off quite ‘dumb’ and was pretty annoying to watch, but I liked her more as the story developed and I liked her pairing with the photographerlater on in the series and hoped these two would have a happy ending. I find it quite unrealistic how Samantha who comes from a rich family background would allow her to marry a thief but her parents weren’t even shown in the series so he got that easy ^^;
- Kevin and Ruco are supposed to be twin brothers, but when they’re together they sometimes appear more like lovers?? Or I could be going crazy. Both of them just seem too feminine and not your typical brothers.
- I’m also quite skeptical on how they portrayed this set of twins. I’m a twin myself and can’t seem to relate to them. They have dreams of the other brother?? I mean, Kevin dreamt what Ruco saw. And then it got to the point towards the end of the series where Ruco would drug himself to stay awake without sleeping in hope Kevin won’t be able to see his plan in his mind. What the. lol
Read the rest of this entry »
English Title: No Reserve (also known as Rosy Business III)
Cantonese Title: å·¾å¹—æ¢Ÿé›„ä¹‹è«œè¡€é•·å¤© (Gan Gwok Hiu Hung Ji Dip Huet Cheung Tin)
Previous Installments: 2009 Rosy Business | 2010 No Regrets
Cast: Wayne Lai é»Žè€€ç¥¥ (é£¾æ±Ÿå°šç´…/éˆ´æœ¨ä¸€é›„), Myolie Wu èƒ¡æå…’ (é£¾å¼µå¯„ç”Ÿ), Edwin Siu è•æ£æ¥ (é£¾å‘¨ç´°é›ž), Sire Ma é¦¬è³½ (é£¾é‡‘éŸžå‡Œ), Lau Kong, åŠ‰æ±Ÿ (é£¾æž—ç¾¤), Kin Kong é‡‘å‰› (é£¾æ¦ç”°ä»‹ç”·), Lee Shing-Cheong æŽæˆæ˜Œ (é£¾ç´¢å¤šéš†), æ¥Šç‘žéºŸ (é£¾åŠ‰å¤©), Susan Tse è¬é›ªå¿ƒ (é£¾ä½Ÿå°è˜)
Episodes: 30 (my TVSuper)| 26 (TVB Jade)
Released: 1 October 2016 on TVB’s streaming service, myTV Super (30 episodes) | Mainstream premier on TVB Jade on 19 December 2016 (26 episodes edited)
Themesong: “å¤å¶ºèŠ±” (Solitary Flower) by Kay Tse
Executive Producer: Lee Tim-sing
TVB No Reserve Official Poster
KTVB Comments: Woo!! They finally released this! I’ve been waiting for the third installment of Rosy Business back in the days when I was still into TVB, but I kind of gave up on it when they couldn’t pass the HK TV censor board and the series never got released… And because Sheren Tang was not going to be in the series I wasn’t as excited but now that it’s out I’m keen to give it a ago (mainly watching it for Wayne’s performance!) I’m not expecting it to be as good as Rosy Business or No Regrets because I know that’s not possible. Just hoping for a good TVB series to enjoy!