- “Ma Sam Bo” isÂ Sammul’s last role with TVB! It’s sad to hear him leave, but I’m happy for the greater opportunities he has in mainland. I really like Sam-Bo and I think he’s my favourite character from the roles Sammul has played. He’s intelligent, caring, charming, talented and has great fighting skills. I also love the loyalty he has towards Yin-Wong (Joe) and the love/devotion towards Princess Wing-Yeung (Elanne). Judging from the Favourite Character poll I put up, it looks like Sammul isÂ favourite for many people.
- I still feel its a bit of a waste that he’s an eunuch! I know …Ma Sam-Bo is a eunuch in history, and history can’t be changed…but awww!!
- Throughout the series, he didn’t really act like an eunuch but they would subtly mentioned it here and there..it kind of left me a bit confused on how many people/whom actually knew of his identity and whether it was supposed to be publicÂ knowledge. It turned out that Michael didn’t realise until near the end of the series too, which was why Michael constantly teased him for not confessing his feelings for the princess.
- Sam Bo and Princess Wing Yeung have grown up together. They played with each other since young, and he saved her from drowning when she was 5. Another time when she sneaked out to war with Joe, Sam-Bo was there to protect her. The two were hiding in a cave and it was so cute because the princess was like ” Sam-Bo let’s get married! 4th brother (Joe) said I’m not marrried yet so if I die now I’m going to be a homeless ghost.Â I don’t want to be a homelsss ghost.” Sam- Bo: “Err…I’m an eunuch, how can we get married?” Princess: “Why can’t eunch’s get married? I don’t care we’re getting married” XD XD From then on, Sammul was never able to forget her XD SO SWEET !! Fond memories!
- The two are really close – if she ever encountered any problems, he would be the first person she’d turn to. I think the two make a really cute couple! There was also another time when she got really upset when she lost the earrings he bought for her as a birthday present.Â Even though the princess would get mad at him here and there (because of what he does for Joe), the two would eventually make up again.
- I think it’s sad but also sweet that he loves the princess and always wants to be there to care for her although he can never be with her forever.
- When Sam-Bo saw Princess Wing Yeung and Michael together, he seemed a bit upset/jealous but we know he only wants her to be happy. There was a scene where they went to a moon festival, and they lit flying lanterns. Sammul genuninely smiled when he saw how happy the Princess was with Michael and tries to pursuade Michael to go-for-it.Â Such a unconditional love <3
- When Sam-Bo didn’t listen to Yin-Wong (Joe)’s orders, Yin-Wong wanted to kill him but the Princess protected him.
- In episode 26 when Sam-Bo was under arrest, he risked his life to find the princess to stop her from marrying General Lee Geng Long (Benjamin Yuen) because he didn’t want her to marry someone she didn’t love.
- I loved how Sammul confessed to Elanne- it was soooo touching!!Â I was wondering whether the princess would ever know his feelings forÂ her !Â 🙂 He just wanted her to be happy and promised to take her away. Unfortunately, their escape plan failed and Sammul gets caught. In exchange for Sam-Bo’s life, the Princess agreed to marry Lee Geng Long!
- I also like watching the strong bond and trust between Sam-Bo and Yin Wong (Joe). They have a really good master-subordinate relationship. When Sam-Bo was a kid and was brought to the palace, Joe noticed his courage and intelligence and picked him out- He educated, taught and trained him.
- It was a pretty touching scene when Sam-Bo betrayed him that one timeÂ because he disapproved of Yin Wong’s actions. Angered and hurt by his betryal, Yin Wong wanted to kill him but later realised he wasn’t just his subordinate- he valued him as a friend (and knew Sam-Bo remained loyal towards him). There were any flashback scenes of them together when Sammul was a little kid and the way he raised him up etc. After this, Joe ended up setting Sammul free- he was no longer “owned” by him. Sam-Bo was so grateful for everything Joe has done for him and decides to continue to stay by his side to assist him in achieving his goals.
- There was a scene where Sam-Bo was massaging Joe’s shoulders when he was bathing. At first I did feel a bit of a shiver down my spine because it felt slightly “gay” because I didn’t expect to see such a scene. lol But then thinking back, Sam-Bo was his servant and it was supposed to be aÂ sad scene as it was Sam Bo serving his master for the last time.Â Â This scene actually striked some controversary among the viewers XD
- Macy plays a Monogolian girl who searches for Sammul to take revenge on him for indirectly causing the death of her father. When Sammul resolves the case and helps her father clear his injustice, Macy gratefully leaves. Later she returns in hope to be with him. I didn’t feel much for Macy’s character- she was ok, cute at times. I started to like her more later when she proved to be very loyal towards Sammul. I was quite surprised/moved when she stayed by his side and continued to love him evenÂ after finding out he’s a eunuch.
- At the end when Joe succcesfully becomes the new Emperor, Sammul assumed the new name of Zheng He.
- I was pretty happy with his ending -He was able to fulfil his dream on travelling the seas on his own boat. He also won’t be alone because Macy is thereÂ to accompany him all the way 🙂
- P.S Love his coloured eye contacts XD so glossy hehe